I picked up the new Switch for myself because I wanted something a little more powerful for portable gaming, and so far I’ve been really impressed with it. The first thing I noticed was how much nicer the larger display feels during actual gameplay. Games like Super Mario Odyssey and Pokémon Scarlet look crisp, colorful, and much easier to enjoy without feeling like everything is squeezed onto a small screen. The system itself feels solid and well built, although it is a little bigger than I expected. I actually prefer the larger size because it feels more comfortable during longer sessions. The updated controllers are also a nice improvement, and I haven’t had any connection or responsiveness issues with them so far. Battery life is decent but definitely not amazing. With more demanding games, I usually expect to recharge after a few hours. For playing at home that really isn’t an issue, but I’d probably bring a charger or battery pack if I were taking it on a flight or long road trip. One thing I underestimated was how quickly digital games can eat through the built-in storage. After installing a handful of larger games, I was already looking at expansion options. If you plan on downloading most of your library, I’d recommend budgeting for a compatible memory card from the start. Performance has been smooth for everything I’ve played, including Mario Kart, Pokémon, and a few third-party games. Loading times feel quick, the interface is responsive, and switching between handheld and docked play is seamless. Overall, I’m very happy with the purchase. It isn’t a revolutionary change in every single area, but the bigger screen, smoother performance, and overall refinement make it feel like a much better handheld experience.
Recommended


