Nov 15, 2025I work from home and wear headphones pretty much all day
I work from home and wear headphones pretty much all day. These are comfortable enough for 6-8 hour sessions. The ear cups are spacious and the memory foam is plush. They do get a bit warm after a few hours but not unbearable. Sound quality is excellent for music and calls. The ANC helps me focus. Battery lasts the whole work day easily. My only complaint is the weight — they're noticeable after a full day. But overall very happy.
Recommended
Was this review helpful?
JJonathan P.Verified purchase★★★★★★★★★★
Nov 8, 2025I've been using the Airponds Max for about three months now, and I feel like I can give a proper, thorough assessment
I've been using the Airponds Max for about three months now, and I feel like I can give a proper, thorough assessment. Let me start with the sound quality, because that's really the main event here. The first thing I noticed was how wide the soundstage is. I listen to a lot of live recordings and orchestral music, and the sense of space is genuinely impressive for a closed-back wireless headphone. Instruments have clear separation — you can pick out individual elements in dense mixes that get lost on lesser headphones. The bass is tight and controlled rather than boomy. It extends deep enough for electronic music but never overwhelms the mids. Speaking of mids, vocals sound natural and present, which is important for someone like me who listens to a lot of singer-songwriter stuff. Highs are detailed without being sibilant — cymbals and hi-hats sound realistic rather than harsh.
Now for the noise cancellation. I've tried the Sony XM5s, the Bose QC Ultras, and the AirPods Pro 2, and I'd say the Airponds Max are competitive with all of them. They're particularly good at blocking out low-frequency noise like engine rumble, HVAC systems, and traffic. They're slightly less effective at sudden high-frequency sounds like someone shouting or a dog barking, but that's true of all ANC headphones. The transparency mode is excellent — very natural sounding, almost like you're not wearing headphones at all. I can have quick conversations without taking them off.
Build quality is where these really shine. The aluminum ear cups feel premium and should hold up well over time. The headband mechanism is smooth and has a satisfying amount of resistance. The memory foam ear cushions are plush and comfortable. However, and this is a big however, these headphones are heavy. At 385 grams, they're significantly heavier than the Sony XM5s (250g) and Bose QC Ultras (250g). I've gotten used to it, but for the first week or two, I definitely noticed the weight after an hour or two of wear. The clamping force is also fairly strong out of the box, though it loosens up over time.
Battery life has been a mixed bag for me. I'm getting about 16-18 hours with ANC on, which is less than the advertised 20 hours. It's still enough for most use cases, but competitors offer 30+ hours. The charging speed is decent — about 1.5 hours for a full charge via Lightning. Yes, Lightning, not USB-C, which is annoying in 2025/2026 when everything else I own uses USB-C. The smart case sleep mode is unreliable — sometimes I pull them out and they're at 100%, other times they've somehow drained to 50% overnight.
The digital crown for volume control is genuinely excellent. It's satisfying to use and more precise than touch controls. The lack of a power button is weird at first but you get used to it — they turn on when you unfold them and go to sleep when you put them in the case. Call quality is acceptable but not great. People can hear me fine in quiet environments but struggle to hear me on busy streets.
Overall, these are excellent headphones with some frustrating quirks. The sound quality and ANC are top-tier, the build is premium, and the design is iconic. But the weight, the case, the Lightning port, and the battery life all prevent them from being perfect. I'd give them a strong 8.5/10. If you can find them at a discount, they're absolutely worth it. At full retail, you need to decide whether the sound quality and build justify the compromises.
Pros- Outstanding sound quality with wide soundstage, - Excellent noise cancellation, - Premium build materials, - Digital crown is a great control method, - Comfortable for 2-3 hour sessions
Cons- Very heavy compared to competitors, - Lightning charging in 2025/2026, - Smart case is poorly designed, - Battery life below advertised, - Call quality is mediocre, - Bulky carrying case
Recommended
Was this review helpful?
RRebecca T.Verified purchase★★★★★★★★★★
Oct 3, 2025I've had these for about six months now, so I wanted to share my long-term experience
I've had these for about six months now, so I wanted to share my long-term experience. I'll try to cover everything I can think of.
Let's start with the unboxing experience. The packaging is very Apple — minimal, premium, satisfying to open. The headphones come in that distinctive case that everyone makes fun of, and honestly, the criticism is warranted. It looks like a purse or a bra or something. It doesn't offer much protection either — it's basically just a sleeve. I bought a hard case on Amazon for $20 and it's way better. The headphones themselves, when you first pick them up, feel incredibly solid. The aluminum is cold to the touch and the mesh headband looks elegant. But then you realize how heavy they are. My first thought was "there's no way these are comfortable for long periods." I was partially wrong.
After the first week of adjustment, the weight becomes less noticeable. The memory foam ear cushions distribute the pressure well, and the headband does a good job of spreading the weight across the top of your head. I can comfortably wear them for 3-4 hours at a time. Beyond that, I do start to feel the weight. I've fallen asleep with them on a few times on long flights and woken up with a slightly sore neck. So they're comfortable, but not all-day comfortable like the Sony XM5s.
Sound quality is where these really excel. I listen to a very wide range of music — everything from classical to death metal to hip hop to jazz — and these handle it all beautifully. The frequency response is remarkably balanced. There's a slight warmth to the sound that makes everything pleasant to listen to, but it's not so colored that it distorts the music. Detail retrieval is excellent. I've been hearing subtle details in recordings that I've never noticed before — background vocals, room ambience, the sound of fingers sliding on guitar strings. It's genuinely impressive.
The noise cancellation has held up well over six months. No degradation in performance. It's still just as effective at blocking out my noisy neighbors and street traffic. The transparency mode is still one of the best I've used — very natural sounding. I use it all the time when I need to be aware of my surroundings.
Battery life has degraded slightly. When new, I was getting about 18-19 hours with ANC. Now I'm getting about 16-17 hours. That's still acceptable, but it's worth noting. The Lightning port is genuinely annoying. I have to keep a separate cable for these when everything else I own charges via USB-C. It's a small thing but it adds friction to the daily experience.
The build quality has held up perfectly. No creaking, no loose parts, no signs of wear on the ear cushions or headband. The aluminum ear cups still look like new. These are built to last. I've dropped them a few times and there's not a single scratch. The digital crown still works perfectly — it's one of my favorite features.
Connectivity has been rock solid. They pair instantly with my iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Switching between devices is seamless. Range is excellent — I can walk to the other end of my apartment without losing connection. No dropouts or stuttering.
Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. They're not perfect — the weight, the case, the Lightning port, and the battery life are all legitimate criticisms. But the sound quality, ANC, and build quality are best-in-class. If you can accept the compromises, these are fantastic headphones. I'd recommend them to anyone who prioritizes sound quality and build over portability and convenience.