I've been using the Magic Keyboard with my 12.9-inch iPad Pro for about four months now, and I have to say it has completely transformed how I use this device. Before getting this keyboard, my iPad was primarily a consumption device — I'd watch videos, browse the web, read articles, and occasionally take handwritten notes with the Apple Pencil. But after adding the Magic Keyboard, it has genuinely become my primary work machine for about 80% of what I do on a daily basis. Let me start with the typing experience because that's the most important part of any keyboard. The keys have a surprising amount of travel for something this thin. I've used MacBook keyboards for years — both the old scissor-switch models and the newer Magic Keyboard on the MacBook Air — and this feels remarkably similar. There's a satisfying snap to each keystroke, and the key spacing is generous enough that I don't feel cramped even during long typing sessions. I write a lot of reports and documentation for work, and I've been averaging around 80 words per minute on this keyboard with no issues. The backlighting is another nice touch — it automatically adjusts based on ambient light, and in a dark room the keys are evenly lit without any hot spots or bleed. I also really appreciate that there's a full row of function keys for brightness, media control, and volume. That might seem like a small thing, but not having to reach up to the screen to adjust basic settings makes a big difference in workflow. The trackpad is the other half of this equation, and it's honestly better than I expected. I was skeptical about how useful a trackpad would be on a touchscreen device, but Apple's implementation is really well thought out. Multi-touch gestures work smoothly — three-finger swipe up for app switcher, pinch to zoom, two-finger scroll — it all feels natural. The cursor integration in iPadOS is also surprisingly good. The cursor snaps to buttons and text fields automatically, which makes precise selection much easier than trying to tap with your finger. My only minor gripe is that the trackpad surface is on the small side. Coming from a MacBook, I occasionally find myself running out of room when trying to drag items across the screen. But for most everyday tasks, it's perfectly adequate. Now let's talk about the elephant in the room: the price. At $349 retail, this is undeniably expensive. There's no way around that. It costs more than many Chromebooks and entry-level Windows laptops. I was lucky enough to get mine during an Amazon sale for $279, which felt much more reasonable. At that price point, I think it's a solid value given the build quality and integration. At full price, you really have to ask yourself whether you need this specific experience or if a cheaper alternative would suffice. For me, the seamless integration with iPadOS, the premium build materials, and the excellent typing experience justify the cost because I use it every single day for hours at a time. But I can completely understand why someone would balk at spending this much on a keyboard case. The build quality is typical Apple — which is to say, excellent. The exterior is covered in a soft-touch material that feels nice but does attract dust and lint from my backpack. The hinge mechanism is sturdy with no wobble, even when using the iPad on my lap. And the cantilever design, while limiting in terms of viewing angles, does create a satisfying floating effect that looks really cool. The iPad attaches magnetically and I've never had any concerns about it coming loose. The USB-C pass-through port on the hinge is convenient for charging while keeping the iPad's own port free for accessories. In terms of portability, this is where the Magic Keyboard has its biggest weakness. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro is already a fairly large and heavy tablet, and the Magic Keyboard adds about 1.6 pounds to the total. The combined weight is around 3.5 pounds, which is actually heavier than the current MacBook Air. It's also quite thick when closed — noticeably bulkier than a laptop of similar screen size. I've gotten used to carrying it in my backpack, but it's not something you'd want to hold in one hand for any length of time. The material on the outside also shows wear relatively quickly — after four months of daily use, I can see some minor scuffing on the corners and the surface is starting to look a bit less pristine than when it was new. Overall, I'm extremely happy with this purchase. It has genuinely changed how I use my iPad and has allowed me to leave my laptop at home on most days. The combination of the iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, and Apple Pencil covers almost everything I need for work and personal use. If you can find one on sale or are willing to buy refurbished, I'd say go for it. At full price, it's a tougher sell, but if you're the kind of person who will use it daily, it's worth the investment.


